Open source databases like MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, PostgreSQL and others have gained wide adoption in recent years.
However, not all companies know if open source is right for them or how to migrate their workloads over.
DBTA recently held a webinar with Joe McKendrick, research analyst, Unisphere, and Nihal Mirashi, principal product marketing manager, Pure Storage, who discussed why storage matters and the consequences of mismatched storage options, along with how modern storage can maximize application performance and scalability.
According to a recent survey done by Unisphere Research/Information Today, the most popular open source databases include Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and MySQL, McKendrick said.
These databases are popular because there are fewer limits on licenses, they are lightweight and use fewer system resources, they can be deployed quickly, and support unstructured data, McKendrick noted.
However, wider proliferation of database types require wider range of skills, multiple databases mean multiple storage silos, and multiple databases can tax processing power.
According to McKendrick, a modern storage environment can make data managers’ jobs easier by providing:
- Fewer server and processor upgrades
- Less performance tuning
- Increased data availability
- Simplified data management
- Greater data mobility
- Greater data storage capacity
- Support for “table stakes” features (database recovery, cloning, data reduction)
When choosing this platform it’s important to consider a variety of factors including rapid response time and low latencies; high uptime and non-disruptive upgrades; being simple to manage with lower TCO; flexible OPEX models; consistent data mobility across on-prem and cloud, McKendrick suggested.
Pure Storage is a perfect option to consider when choosing an open source database, Mirashi said. The solution can:
- Optimize DB operations with rapid response, low latency; agile data services; and data reduction
- Simplify storage with easy setup; cloud-based fleet management; and AI-driven planning
- Scale without risk with space-efficient snapshots; six 9s FlashArray uptime; and ransomeware protection and non-disruptive upgrades
- Experience cloud agility with global data plane and management view; pay-as-you go consumption; and global agile data recovery
An archived on-demand replay of this webinar is available here.