DigitalOcean, the cloud for developing modern apps, is launching Managed Databases, with PostgreSQL as its first offering, allowing developers to create fully managed database instances in the cloud quickly and efficiently.
“With Managed Databases, developers and their teams can focus on creating meaningful applications and sharing them with their communities, without the headache of having to manage the database infrastructure that enables the process,” said Shiven Ramji, DigitalOcean’s senior vice president of product. “We do this all with an intuitive interface, full API support, transparent pricing, feature richness and flexible scalability.”
With Managed Databases, developers no longer have to grapple with the many administrative tasks that accompany such deployments, or hire staff to manage them. Instead, DigitalOcean takes care of the setup, maintenance, configuration and security of databases, so developers can remain focused on creating great applications.
The service was also one of the most widely requested new products among DigitalOcean’s customer base, showcasing the need to simplify the process of managing databases in the cloud.
Managed Databases offers DigitalOcean users the following features:
- Worry-free setup & maintenance: Users can easily launch a database with the push of a button, completing a usually lengthy process in a matter of seconds. The managed service takes care of maintenance operations and updates, and provides developers with a single view of their databases through a simplified UI, powerful API or third-party Terraform provider.
- Free daily backups with point-in-time recovery: Automated backups help prevent data loss and allow developers to restore data to any point within the previous seven days.
- Standby nodes with automated failovers: In the event of a failure, Managed Databases will automatically switch data handling to a standby node to prevent against unplanned downtime.
- End-to-end security: The service ensures all data is encrypted both at rest and in transit with SSL, and allows users to explicitly limit inbound connections based on their unique requirements. Additionally, all major upgrades and patches are handled automatically to avoid any service disruption and protect against potential vulnerabilities.
- Scalable performance: Enterprise-class hardware and local SSD storage is combined with horizontal scaling to give developers the high performance they need. They can also monitor their clusters with minute-by-minute performance graphs and seamlessly scale databases and upgrade nodes as they grow.
For more news about this release, visit www.digitalocean.com.