The advent of graph database technology accommodates for the plethora of nuance that an enterprise’s proprietary data represents. However, graph technology continues to evolve, leaving legacy graph solutions in the digital dust with slow, inefficient query speeds.
Innovators at ArangoDB joined DBTA’s webinar, Unleash the Future of Data Management: Transitioning from Legacy Graphs to a Modern, Complete, and Scalable Solution, to expose the way graph technology has been transformed by ArangoDB, debunking data management myths and addressing various tech challenges.
But first, why graph technology?
As Michael Hackstein, senior graph specialist at ArangoDB, puts it, “If we look around in the world we live in nowadays, we see that there are connections everywhere.”
Whether those connections be physical, social, or technical, they express both the commonalities and differences between every thing.
In the realm of technology and data, graph databases capture the dependencies and relationship between data products, as opposed to a relational database that focuses on individual rows or products. The relationship itself, in a graph setting, becomes the first-class citizen of the database, Hackstein explained.
Inviting connectivity to your data helps to:
- Accelerate data retrieval, avoiding complex join evaluations
- Increase simplicity for developers through intuitive graph traversal
- Invite flexible data modeling with agile schema evolution
- Visualize data, unveiling complex patterns
While graph technology certainly offers a myriad of benefits, today’s legacy graph database poses some unique challenges, Hackstein remarked. These include:
- Lack of flexibility, as graph alone is insufficient. Developers need document, search, analytics, and machine learning (ML)
- Difficult to scale beyond a single server leading to slow queries
- Time-consuming to integrate with existing data infrastructures
- Legacy vendors are too expensive
To overcome these obstacles that legacy graph tech poses, ArangoDB was designed to innovate on these specific challenges.
ArangoDB is a modern, fully-managed service that combines graph with transparent and horizontal scalability, offering capabilities such as full-text search and document drill down, graph analytics, and graph ML algorithms.
Asif Kazi, VP of customer success at ArangoDB, explained that there are even more differentiators that set ArangoDB apart from the rest, including:
- Seamless and transparent combination of vertical and horizontal scaling for limitless growth and unrivaled performance
- Inherently adaptive schema that accommodates changes for a hassle-free development experience
- Unified query language for handling diverse data models
- Integrated graph, key/value, document, and search capabilities
- Superior resilience via built-in data replication, auto-failover, and self-healing
- Enterprise-grade security with full encryption, access control, and auditing
- Unique capabilities for cutting-edge performance at scale, including graph replication, efficient joins, transactional guarantees, and more
- Native sharding for reliable and cost-efficient scaling
“Why do it the hard way? Just press the easy button,” said Kazi.
For an in-depth review of ArangoDB’s graph technology, featuring use cases, demos, and more, you can view an archived version of the webinar here.