Swarm64, a provider of database acceleration solutions for the PostgreSQL open source database, is releasing Swarm64 DA 4.0, database acceleration software that extends PostgreSQL with the ability to analyze data orders of magnitude faster than usual.
New updates enable more people to choose free open source PostgreSQL over costly proprietary databases for new analytic and data warehouse modernization projects.
"PostgreSQL is immensely popular and battle-hardened as a primary database, yet, for performance reasons it’s historically less popular in data warehousing and analytics. We’re on a mission to change that," said Thomas Richter, CEO and co-founder of Swarm64. "Now, when extended with the Swam64 DA accelerator, PostgreSQL runs orders of magnitude faster because we’ve tripled the acceleration effects in release 4.0.”
New features of Swarm64 DA include:
- Greater Parallel processing
- The Swarm64 DA extension rewrites query patterns that execute in parallel at every phase of the query. It parallelizes scanning, filtering, joining, and merging, and spins up to 64 parallel threads.
- Accelerated SQL Joins
- JOIN conditions are widely used in SQL queries, but they are notoriously slow to process. With join acceleration in release 4.0, PostgreSQL can answer a wider variety of queries, which had heretofore been prohibitively slow for most users.
- I/O reduction
- Swarm64 DA compresses data 5x to 25x depending on the data type. Besides reducing storage costs, reading compressed data, along with columnar indexing, reduces I/O by ~20x relative to standard Postgres.
- Text Search Acceleration
- Swarm64 DA 4.0 has been enhanced to speed up PostgreSQL text search query extensions, enabling people to use it for larger-scale log analytics and other search applications without switching to specialized search databases.
- FPGA support option
- If an FPGA coprocessor is present on the server, Swarm64 initiates an additional 100+ SQL reader & writer processes working in parallel on the FPGA. FPGAs are a cost-efficient way to further increase the acceleration effects of Swarm64 DA to handle bigger databases, real-time analytics, or greater concurrency.
Within organizations using or considering Postgres, primary use cases for Swarm64 DA-accelerated PostgreSQL include:
- Data warehouse modernization
- Scaling analytic software as a service (SaaS)
- Machine learning & IoT
For more information about this release, visit https://swarm64.com/.