After releasing version 2.0 of its open source DataOps platform infrastructure, Meltano announced it has raised an additional $8.2 million in funding to further extend the project’s capabilities.
This brings its total Seed Round funding to $12.4 million. The funding round was led by Venrock, with additional participation by Alphabet’s GV, Uncorrelated Ventures, Data Tech Fund and numerous angel investors.
Meltano was launched as a spinoff of GitLab in June 2021 with financial backing from a number of notable venture capital and angel investors including GV.
Meltano’s ELT (extract, load, transform) capabilities quickly attracted attention from a growing group of upstream contributors and enterprise users.
The momentum behind the Meltano DataOps Platform Infrastructure underscores the market need for an open source alternative to traditional ELT solutions and other data tools that embrace software development best practices, offer a DevOps-like workflow and a wide array of integrations.
“Meltano has its sights set on becoming the open source foundation of every team’s ideal data stack,” said Douwe Maan, Meltano founder and CEO. “We intend to address the complexity of today’s modern data stacks—which are essentially fragile, ad-hoc mish-mashes of tools held together with duct tape—with flexible but sturdy DataOps platform infrastructure that underpins it, ties it all together, and gives data teams a single place to manage their data platform as a whole. Teams deserve a stable foundation to build their stack on, one that can stay with them for years to come and enable them to try out new tools, swap out old ones or use alternatives side-by-side. That’s our vision, and this funding will support our efforts to bring it to fruition.”
Version 2.0 is the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) release of Meltano as an end-to-end DataOps Platform Infrastructure, which features the following open source components:
- Singer taps and targets for data replication (EL)
- dbt for data transformation
- Airflow for pipeline scheduling and workflow orchestration
- Great Expectations for data quality
- Superset for analysis
The Meltano 2.0 release also elevates MeltanoHub to be the complete resource for modern data stack components available for use with Meltano.
This includes the large library of Singer connectors and data utilities like SQLFluff. Users are also able to add more plugins to the Hub and have them immediately discoverable and usable within Meltano.
Additional Highlights of Meltano 2.0
- Improved flexibility in how jobs and schedules are defined to take full advantage of composable pipelines via `meltano run`
- Increased reproducibility of Meltano project builds with the addition of the Meltano lockfile
- Explicit plugin dependency references to enable installation of multiple plugins simultaneously
- Enhanced support for Singer plugins with the addition of Stream Map plugins to enable on-the-fly data transformations
- Enhanced support for dbt through adapter-specific plugins
- Routine maintenance, bug squashing, deprecation of legacy features and elimination of technical debt
For more information about this news, visit https://meltano.com.