SHARE recently announced its 2009-2010 Board of Directors, following elections which took place during its summer conference in Denver, Colo.
The 2009-2010 Board includes Directors Michael Friske of Fidelity Investments and A. Harry Williams of Marist College, both of whom will oversee assigned SHARE programs during their two-year terms. Both have a long history of service to the organization in a variety of leadership positions.
Michael Friske begins his second term as a Director and will be responsible for Volunteer Programs, overseeing the development, training, support and recruitment of the SHARE volunteer management team. Friske is the Director of Operating Systems Programming at Fidelity Investments. A SHARE volunteer since 1994, Friske has held positions as Deputy Project Manager and Project Manager, and provided strong leadership for SHARE's mainframe storage management activities and the storage management content of the conference program.
"I have found that the more I volunteer for SHARE, the more I actually get out of SHARE," Friske states. "This must not only be true to me but for many others because people have been volunteering for SHARE for nearly 55 years. Volunteers would not continue to step forward if there were not benefit derived from this type of participation."
Joining the Board for the first time, A. Harry Williams will oversee SHARE's Community Enablement program, which includes providing the infrastructure and tools to support the year-round SHARE experience both online and at in-person events. Williams is the Director of Technology & Systems at Marist College.
"Much of my success at Marist is directly due to the benefit of having attended and volunteered at SHARE, what I was able to learn, and the contacts I developed over the years," says Williams. "I look forward to being able to continue to help bring SHARE to a new generation of IT professionals." His previous SHARE roles include participation in the Storage Management Technical Steering Committee and service as Program Manager for three different programs, most recently Enterprise Data Center.
Reg Harbeck, CA's Product Management Director for Mainframe Strategy, also joins the SHARE Board of Directors as Deputy Director of Community Development.
"SHARE brings together some of the most talented and experienced people in IT and, in doing so, creates many opportunities for computing professionals to collaborate on innovative approaches to the tough challenges we often face in information technology," Harbeck says. "Being a member of the SHARE Board will give me an exceptional opportunity to help foster an environment that benefits our individual members, the organizations they serve and the industry as a whole."
Harbeck will be responsible for SHARE's efforts to foster and sustain technical communities with interests in the enterprise IT arena. Harbeck brings special skills to this role from his participation in the development of zNextGen, a community of professionals who are new to mainframe technology. Harbeck has been actively engaged in the growth of zNextGen from its original 30 to its current membership of more than 550 individuals from around the world.
"The strength of the 2009-2010 Board of Directors reflects SHARE's long tradition of identifying talented volunteers and providing opportunities for them to develop their leadership skills," said Pamela J. Taylor, SHARE President. "We appreciate both the commitment of these individuals to SHARE and the support of their employers for their participation. I'm delighted to have the opportunity to work with this team in the coming year."
The complete SHARE 2009-2010 Board of Directors includes:
- President: Pamela J. Taylor, Sterling Commerce;
- Vice President & Director, Conference Operations: Al Williams, Pennsylvania State University;
- Secretary: Paul D. Seay, Jr., Northrop Grumman Corporation;
- Treasurer: Janet L. Sun, Mainstar Software Corporation;
- Immediate Past President: Martin Timmerman, University of Waterloo;
- Director, Community Enablement: A. Harry Williams, Marist College;
- Director, Industry Influence & Advocacy: Brian Peterson, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota;
- Director, Vendor Relations and Channel Management: Arthur Louise, EmblemHealth;
- Director, Volunteer Resources: Michael Friske, Fidelity Investments;
- Deputy Director, Administration: Helen Seren, University of Chicago;
- Deputy Director, Community Development: Reg Harbeck, CA;
- Deputy Director, Conference Operations: Jim Vincent, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.;
- Deputy Director, Conference Operations: Marty Zimelis, maz/Consultancy;
- Deputy Director, Marketing: Ray Sun, IBM Corporation;
- Executive Director: Mary Beth Roman, SHARE Inc.;
- IBM Liaison: Sandy Cureton, IBM Corporation.
For more information about SHARE and all members of the SHARE Board of Directors, visit www.share.org.