Spectra Logic, a provider of data storage and data management solutions, has rolled out enhancements to StorCycle, its software solution for storage lifecycle management. With the latest release, StorCycle 3.2, new improvements ensure that an organization’s data is identified, migrated, accessed, and protected on the right tier, at the right time, throughout its lifespan, providing maximum value to organizations that rely on data to drive their business.
According to the company, StorCycle enables storage lifecycle management for organizations that need lasting protection and access to data which is no longer active, but still critical to retain.
Interoperable with Linux and Windows, StorCycle scans primary storage for inactive files and migrates them to a lower cost tier of storage, which includes any combination of cloud storage, object storage disk, network-attached storage (NAS) and object storage tape.
The company says StorCycle was created to track data forever if needed, and its database can scale to hundreds of billions of objects or files.
StorCycle migrates data, without changing original formats, and allows access to all data including data migrated to higher latency storage mediums such as cloud “cold” tiers and tape.
The latest release of StorCycle delivers the following new benefits:
- Scheduled Delete—users can configure automatic deletions of data migrated/stored by a project after StorCycle retains it for a specified number of days. Users will get email notifications about pending deletions five days before data is deleted.
- Delete Migrate/Store Projects—users can reclaim storage space by manually (and immediately) deleting files that they uploaded to StorCycle when the files are no longer needed, are simply test files or are archived by mistake.
- Improved Support of Customer Symlinks—users can now archive and restore their own symbolic links that they created on their file systems.
- Rerun Existing Jobs—users can now run a recurring, scheduled job immediately and can rerun one-time project archives (for example, when they need to add more files to the directory after an archive operation) by simply clicking an icon to rerun the project.
- CIFS/SMB Support with Linux—users with mixed Windows/Linux environments can run one instance of StorCycle on Linux. StorCycle running on a Linux server supports NFS and CIFS/SMB sources. StorCycle running on Windows supports CIFS/SMB.
- Restore Jobs Processed First—restore jobs are prioritized at the top of the job queue when more than 10 jobs are actively running on the StorCycle solution.
- Background Database Indexing—automatically adds background database indexing to deliver a two order of magnitude increase in search times for files and objects.
“While StorCycle software reduces the overall cost of storing data by up to 70%, true storage lifecycle management is about more than cost savings,” said Spectra Logic CEO Nathan Thompson. “Our customers rely on data to drive their business decisions and need insight, control, access and protection of their data through its entire lifetime. StorCycle’s latest feature set builds on our experience helping customers solve their complex storage challenges. With the new Scheduled Delete feature, in particular, customers have even greater control over their data with the ability to set timetables for worry-free data expiration to meet compliance and retention requirements.”
For more information, go to www.spectralogic.com.