StorONE has announced S1:Backup, a backup storage solution that works with Veeam, Rubrik, HYCU, Commvault, and others to ensure backup data is immutable to ransomware attacks and extends the value to backup infrastructures while lowering the total cost of backup storage ownership.
According to StorONE, backup data is a primary target of ransomware, and legacy backup storage systems expose their customer's last line of defense to the attack.
"When we examined the points of exposure, we discovered a gap between backup software innovations and storage hardware capabilities, which lead to vulnerabilities and higher cost," said Gal Naor, StorONE's CEO. "Legacy backup storage is the cause of that gap; S1:Backup fills it and enables companies to complete their ransomware recovery strategy and extract the full value from modern backup software by eliminating ransomware concerns and elevating backup to deliver high-availability."
According to StorONE, S1:Backup delivers immutability across all its protocols, including NFS, SMB, S3, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, and NVMe-oF. S1:Backup delivers 100% ransomware resiliency through its ability to:
- Capture every backup job into an immutable state
- Retain immutable copies indefinitely without impacting performance
- And, if attacked by malware, rollback to a 30-second old immutable copy
In addition, recovery point objectives capabilities like block-level incremental (change block tracking) backups enable customers to reduce their exposure to a ransomware attack or other failure. However, a high frequency of backup jobs puts too much strain on hard drive only backup storage technology, and All-Flash backup storage is too expensive for the use case.
S1:Backup solves the problem by auto-tiering between a generous flash tier and up to a 15PB+ hard-disk tier to deliver:
- Supports hundreds of simultaneous backup jobs per hour for low RPO
- The lowest possible backup costs thanks to maximum performance from a small number of flash drives and 90% utilization of high-density hard disk drives
S1:Backup delivers backup storage supporting the highest-density hard disk drives (HDD) without compromising availability. It can scale to 15+ PB in a single cluster for long-term data retention while delivering high-performance backup and recovery. In addition, S1:Backup provides support of high-density HDD:
- Fast RAID rebuilds, recovering from 18TB drive failure in 2 hours
- Unique bit-error-rot protection, critical for long-term retention
- The ability to mix new drive densities without creating new volumes or reconfiguring backup jobs
According to StorONE, S1:Backup has the flexibility to be standby-production storage, meaning that IT can now take the time required to investigate the ransomware attack, software bug, or hardware failure that instigated recovery without impacting users or applications.
To learn more about S1:Backup, go to www.storone.com/backup.