An autonomous database is a cloud database that uses machine learning to eliminate the human labor associated with database tuning, security, backups, updates, and other routine management tasks traditionally performed by database administrators
Oracle Autonomous Database brings together decades of database automation, decades of automating database infrastructure, and new technology in the cloud to deliver a fully autonomous database.
DBTA recently held a webinar with Maria Colgan, master product manager, Oracle, who discussed Oracle’s database features, best practices, and machine learning algorithms that make up its family of cloud services.
The Oracle Autonomous Database is self-driving, self-securing, and self-repairing, Colgan said. It can automate all database and infrastructure management, monitoring, tuning; protects from both external attacks and malicious internal users; and protects from all downtime including planned maintenance.
The platform can conduct full automation of the database lifecycle that is enabled with machine learning, Colgan explained.
It is one autonomous database that offers two deployment options: serverless Exadata cloud infrastructure and dedicated Exadata cloud infrastructure (which is currently in beta but will be released soon).
Capabilities include rapid provisioning, automatic tuning, self scaling, automatic indexing, and cloning.
By using the Oracle Autonomous Database users can:
- Create mission critical scale-out database in minutes
- Automate all monitoring, management and tuning eliminating database maintenance drudgery
- Allow Customers to focus on business goals not on technology
- Utilize full compatibility enables simple database migration
The benefits of self-securing features that are offered in the platform include secure configuration with full database encryption, protection from both external and malicious internal threats, automatic security updates online, and sensitive data can be hidden from Oracle or customer admins, Colgan said.
Autonomous Databases can make life easier for customers by:
- Eliminating tedious, expensive, and unsafe manual database management
- Developing new applications faster with instant database provisioning and self-tuning
- Allowing users to focus on business rather than technology
- Continuous online updates protect against cyber-attacks
- Fault-tolerant solution – including maintenance
An archived on-demand replay of this webinar is available here.