By Michelle Malcher, President of the Independent Oracle Users Group
As we enter our 21st year as a user group, we are so pleased at how much IOUG has accomplished, and how many great opportunities lie ahead of us. While we set the bar pretty high in 2013 with our 20th anniversary and a fantastic COLLABORATE 13, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what IOUG has in store for 2014.
In 2014, our marquee event is COLLABORATE 14-IOUG Forum. The theme for this event is “Become Your Office Superhero,” because we know that, while you may look like a mild-mannered technical resource in meetings or at your desk, you fight a daily battle to protect your organization’s data, improve performance and generate new business opportunities. COLLABORATE is your chance to recharge your superpowers and to take on new skills.
Our Conference Committee has outdone themselves with an all-star lineup of speakers focused on hot topics such as Oracle Database 12c, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Engineered Systems, and the new WebCenter release, plus “must have” topics like database performance tuning and High Availability. Our speakers represent the best independent thought leadership and expertise in the Oracle community, and we cannot thank them enough for their contributions.
Based on the feedback we received from attendees and volunteers, we are making some structural changes to COLLABORATE 14 while maintaining the offerings attendees have come to know and love:
- Our great Pre-Conference Workshops are still available on Monday and still absolutely free for IOUG attendees.
- Our Tuesday program has been completely redesigned to include Expert Technical Sessions—2-hour advanced sessions that will serve as a fantastic launch pad for the rest of the week. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will be jam-packed with everything you could want for sessions on the topics that matter to you.
- This year’s Strategic Leadership Program is geared toward the Senior DBAs, IT Managers, and seasoned IT professionals interested in learning how to get a seat at the table with senior IT management and contribute to dialogues around corporate strategy. You’ll hear from veteran DBAs, CEOs, and senior executives on how they practice leadership while also sharing your own experiences and learning from your fellow attendees. This program is exclusively available to COLLABORATE 14-IOUG Forum attendees and seats are limited. Only those that have pre-registered will be guaranteed a seat.
- Additionally, to help you balance the needs of your office with your desire to learn, IOUG will be offering a secret superhero lair—the IOUG Attendee Lounge—where you can check email, charge your batteries (literally!) or take a quick call without having to hunt for anything. Desks, charging stations, Wi-Fi—it’s all in the lounge and waiting for you, plus some great ways to relax and have fun with friends. All that it is missing is the disco ball … maybe next year!
- The fun will continue throughout the week, from our Monday Night Welcome Reception to our IOUG Membership Booth (#1539) activities. Additionally, Adam Savage will be our keynote. You may have heard of a little show he hosts called MythBusters.
- Thank you again for joining us at COLLABORATE 14-IOUG Forum!