Overcoming Today’s Big Data Integration Hurdles

One of the side effects of the growth in data is the vast variety that data now comes in. While it presents advantages, the newer data types and sources also make data integration more complex.

To highlight new technologies and techniques for overcoming data silos and enabling the delivery of information across the enterprise – where and when it is needed – Database Trends and Applications recently hosted a special roundtable webinar sponsored by Attunity, MarkLogic, and SnapLogic. The webinar covered the key big data integration issues facing enterprises and presented real-world solutions and best practices.

“The challenge is that traditional tools have a hard time keeping up with data growth,” stated Kevin Petrie, senior director with Attunity. It is going to be rare that many large enterprises are going to have on data source. Being able to process all of these different sources as quickly as possible is invaluable in the business world. “Attunity understands data platforms and environments. Attunity software enables users to assess and manage data in the context of the business,” said Petrie. Attunity has been able to use its visibility software to show businesses what data they are using and what data is being wasted, he said, noting it enables to achieve greater efficiency when it comes to their data.

Matt Allen, product marketing manager with MarkLogic, which provides a schema-agnostic enterprise NoSQL database system,  noted that in 2014, 95% of companies IT budgets went to a single relational data model, thus only leaving 5% for non-relational IT. This can lead to “shadow IT,” which leads to more vulnerabilities for a company’s data security. “We focus on all of the data that is coming in from numerous applications and consolidating that data. We want to simplify the data and bring it into one database and that is where MarkLogic comes in,” stated Allen.

Darren Cunningham, vice president of SnapLogic, raised the question of whether or not organizations should even be building a data warehouse in 2015.  He noted that in the changing data environment, “there is a new playbook being written.” SnapLogic offers a unified platform built to connect faster.  It focuses on converging the data and the application world with a single platform.  “Where is the data lake going to fit in? One can’t ignore the economic benefits of Hadoop. It is a very exciting time, but still early. I think it will play out in a very complementary strategy. It is important not to go with the just the same old,” said Cunningham.

To watch a replay of this webinar go here.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.


Subscribe to Big Data Quarterly E-Edition