Subscribe to the 5 Minute Briefing Data Center email newsletter

Five Minute Briefing - Data Center
May 6, 2024

Five Minute Briefing - Data Center: May 6, 2024. Published in conjunction with SHARE Inc., a bi-weekly report geared to the needs of data center professionals.

News Flashes

IBM and HashiCorp Inc., a leading multi-cloud infrastructure automation company, announced IBM will acquire HashiCorp for $35 per share in cash, representing an enterprise value of $6.4 billion. HashiCorp's suite of products provides enterprises with extensive Infrastructure Lifecycle Management and Security Lifecycle Management capabilities to enable organizations to automate their hybrid and multi-cloud environments.

IBM is announcing a massive expansion of its software portfolio to 92 new countries in the AWS Marketplace, a digital catalog with thousands of software listings from independent software vendors (ISVs) that make it easy to find, test, buy, and deploy software that runs on Amazon Web Services (AWS). This global expansion helps democratize IBM products that drive innovation all over the world, making procurement easier, more streamlined, and highly efficient.

IBM is introducing new storage capabilities that give clients choice and control in the data center to maximize performance. A new IT life cycle management option called IBM Storage Assurance provides access to IBM FlashSystem hardware and software innovations to help protect clients' investments from day one. IBM Storage Assurance supports the new IBM FlashSystem 5300 also announced today, as well as the FlashSystem 7300 and FlashSystem 9500.

Microsoft announced it is collaborating with Brookfield Asset Management to invest more than $10 billion to develop renewable energy capacity to power the growing demand for artificial intelligence and data centers. Brookfield will deliver 10.5 gigawatts of renewable energy for Microsoft between 2026 and 2030 in the U.S. and Europe under the agreement. The companies described the deal as the largest single electricity purchase agreement signed between two corporate partners.

News From SHARE

Whether learning about the mainframe as a six-year-old child in your parents' workplace or finding out about computer languages like Fortran and assembly in college, those first mainframe memories can jumpstart a career that lasts a lifetime.

Think About It

Data insights have never been more vital to business operations than they are today. Line-of-business (LOB) teams rely on data insights to drive sustainable growth, lead business operations, and understand cus­tomer behaviors and needs. The growing demand for data analytics has spurred a flourishing $31 billion-plus industry of established and emerging tech companies—but is the data analytics tech stack working for enterprises? Despite years of investment and effort, research indicates that 95% of businesses still strug­gle with operational challenges around data and analytics, leaving only 5% with the competitive advantage data-driven decision making delivers.