Subscribe to the 5 Minute Briefing SAP email newsletter

Five Minute Briefing - SAP
December 19, 2012

Published in conjunction with the Independent SAP Technical User Group (formerly the International Sybase User Group), this monthly publication contains news, market research, insight for the SAP user community, as well as ISUG-TECH news and information.

News Flashes

Compuware Corporation, a technology performance vendor, announced that REALTECH AG, a provider of software solutions for enterprise-wide IT management and SAP consultancy, is incorporating Compuware APM - dynaTrace Data Center Real User Monitoring (DC RUM) - into the latest release of its IT service management software, theGuard! ServiceManagementCenter. This will enable REALTECH to enhance application performance driven by end user experience across SAP, web, non-web and cloud applications. "With today's complex application environment, it is impossible to manage and control IT service quality with traditional operational management products," according to Blair Drenner, vice president of strategic business development for Compuware's APM business unit.

SAP MaxAttention support is now available for solutions individually designed and built by the SAP Custom Development organization. These customer-specific solutions are often mission-critical and complex, addressing unique and competitive business needs. The support option helps to proactively protect custom development investments, simplifies operations by providing access through the same support infrastructure as for standard SAP solutions and provides greater flexibility for how support is delivered. This ultimately can translate into higher adoption rates with reduced errors and improved user satisfaction

ExtraHop Networks, a provider of network-based application performance management (APM) solutions, has launched an SAP Sybase IQ Module designed to give IT organizations operational intelligence into big data analytics and data warehousing environments. The new module is intended to allow IT teams to monitor the performance of all Sybase IQ queries in real time without profilers or other host-based instrumentation, which, the company says, can be costly and add performance overhead to system

SAP announced the general availability of SAP Predictive Analysis software, which is intended to help organizations gain a competitive edge by uncovering and predicting trends in their business. SAP Predictive Analysis can be deployed stand-alone or with other SAP software, including the SAP HANA platform.

Think About It

In the never-ending battle for enterprise data security, industry experts say there has been progress on several fronts, but there is still much work that needs to be done. There is an enormous amount of data that tends to leak out of the secure confines of data centers, creating a range of security issues. "There are many copies of data which have less security and scrutiny than production environments," Joseph Santangelo, principal consultant with Axis Technology, tells DBTA. "The increased reliance on outsourcers and internal contractors leave sensitive data within corporate walls open to misuse or mistakes." Or, as another industry expert describes it, the supply chain often proves to be the greatest vulnerability for data security. "A typical organization has a direct relationship with only 10% of the organizations in its supply chain — the other 90% are suppliers to suppliers," Steve Durbin, global vice president of the Information Security Forum, tells DBTA.

ISUG-Tech News and Information

At its Annual General Meeting on December 11th, the membership of the International Sybase User Group (ISUG) accepted the recommendation of the board of directors and voted to change the name of the organization to the Independent SAP Technical User Group. The change will be effective once all the necessary paperwork is filed with the state of California where the company is registered. ISUG's mission will remain focused on technical users, but will now also include users of some of SAP's own products, such as SAP HANA.